In graphic design, we have four main fundamentals that keep our designs looking professional: contrast, repetition, alignment, and proximity. These also tend to be the main elements involved in the most common graphic design mistakes. Here are the five most common graphic design mistakes that non-designers make.
- Poor readability: The design may be lacking readability because it involves too many words and not enough visuals or white space. This might make the overall design overwhelming and difficult to look at. You’d be surprised at how much more you can say with a simple visual than lengthy sentences.
- Difficulty with contrast: The easiest example of contrast is using black text on a white background instead of gray text on a black background; it makes the design easier to see. A graphic design that uses purple text over a green background may be applying contrast, but it’s also likely to give the viewer a headache. It’s important to use just enough contrast to direct attention to your design and make it easily visible without being overwhelming.
- Inconsistency in the design: It can be fun to play with different fonts in a design but combining too many different fonts or opposing design elements may make the overall design seem disorganized and unsettling. It’s important to remain consistent.
- Miscommunicating the message: Whether you’re using one of the playful comic fonts or have a random picture of a clown in the background, you might be giving the wrong idea through your graphic design unless your company is a circus or maybe a daycare. It’s important that your design is communicating the right message about your company, even if it means defaulting to the business casual black and white.
- Awkward spacing: Just like inconsistency in the design can be disorienting, letters or words that are spaced too close together or too far apart can also be a bit much. You’ll also want to avoid the random placement of text in your design; centered and aligned text is not always a bad thing.
It’s a lot to keep up with as a non-designer, but we can handle it for you at LS Creative. We’ll listen to all of your ideas and desires for your graphic design request, and we’ll be sure to bring your design dream to life in the most professional and presentable way possible.